Travel 2018: Iceland

1 Comments
Best layover ever!!
It was two days before my trip to Amsterdam when I received a message from the airline that my layover flight was moved 16 hours earlier. I tell you last minute packing is no joke. But on the brighter side, I got 18 hours layover to ICELAND!!

So, here's a quick guide on what you can do if you have a few hours layover in the Land of Ice and Fire.

I visited only two destination in Iceland because I have limited time. If you are on a layover, make sure you research on the places you wanna go first. Take note of the travel time and how much time you will be spending on each destination.

Blue Lagoon Iceland Geothermal Spa
https://www.bluelagoon.com/day-visit/the-blue-lagoon
Blue Lagoon may be one of the most touristic spots in Iceland but one you shouldn't miss. It is also the nearest one as it is only 20 minutes away from the Keflavik International Airport. Pre-booking is required so make sure to book a slot a day ahead. When, I was there, there was a line for walk-ins but I suggest to not risk it and just book in advance. The price starts at EUR59 but could get higher depending on the time slot and package you choose. I chose the Comfort package which comes with a free welcome drink and a silica mud mask.
Blue Lagoon is known for its milky blue water surrounded by the lava field. The water is so relaxing and they say it is really good for the skin. I stayed here for three hours which I think is good enough to enjoy the water and the mud mask.

Northern Lights Boat Tour
https://specialtours.is/
The number one travel destination in my bucketlist is Iceland because I've always been fascinated with the Aurora Borealis and I've always wanted to see it with my own eyes. So when I received a message that my Iceland layover will be prolonged, the first thing I researched is if it will be possible for me to see the Aurora for the limited time that I have. And, luckily, yes, it is possible!
Most of the Northern Lights tour requires day/s as most of them are road trips going to far away spots in Iceland where it is darker and the sky is clearer. But aside from the road trips, the easiest way to chase the Aurora is via the boat tours. I booked a tour from Special Tours for around EUR82.
We sailed off from the Old Harbor in Reykjavik. At first, we noticed one arc of green glow forming until all of it became very visible it the sky. We were mesmerized by the green auroras swirling near Mount Esja. It was a thrill to watch! Got me all teary-eyed!

If you have more time, you can also tour around the old town in Reykjavik or drive around the Golden Circle. Some traveller's note:
- Iceland's currency is Icelandic krona (ISK)
- Most of the establishments and even taxis around Reykjavik accepts credit card so it is easy to survive without cash
- There is no Uber and Lyft in Iceland but they have reliable taxis
- You can download the Hreyfill app for a more convenient way to hail a taxi
- There are buses available but they are not 24/7
- There are only a few 24/7 establishments in Iceland
- There is no Mcdonald's or Starbucks in the town too
- Best time to see the Aurora in Iceland is from September to mid-April




You may also like

1 comment:

  1. Wow...wonderful pictures. after seeing these pictures I want to visit there and I am planning my Northern lights vacation alaska

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.