Travel 2019: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

0 Comments
From Da Nang to HCMC!
After my Da Nang food trip, I took a flight to Ho Chi Minh City. HCMC or Saigon used to be the capital city of Vietnam. Its culture and interesting history are just some of the reasons why it is a favorite backpacker destination in Southeast Asia.

How to get there?
The cheapest option is to take a sleeper bus but that would mean I have to spend 20-24 hours on the road. I wanted to save some travel time so I took a plane ride from Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh instead.

Then, I boarded Bus #109 which is the airport bus to the city.

Where to stay?
From the hostel scene in Da Nang, I decided to book a private room this time. 
For 34USD per night, I think this private room in The Art -- Summertime Homestay (booked through booking.com) is a steal. Clean, good location and affordable for the big space and privacy.

What to do?
I stayed in HCMC for only two days. Here's what I did during my quick visit.

Day 1. Cu Chi Tunnels and Mekong Delta Day Trip (booked through Klook.com)
A jam-packed day exploring the complicated tunnels of Cu Chi District followed by a cruise trip along My Tho River (Mekong Delta).
The guide discussed how the Vietnamese people survived during the war by building smart and strategic network of tunnels. We were allowed to go down and explore some safe parts of the tunnel. The guide also showed us some booby traps, artillery and military weapons used during those difficult times.
After Cu Chi, we took a cruise along Mekong Delta. We visited a local coconut candy shop, ate a sumptuous lunch prepared by the tour and, then, took a boat ride along the river. We also visited a local restaurant in My Tho where we were offered seasonal fruits and honey tea.  The tour ended with a serenade of Vietnamese folk songs performed by the locals.

Day 2. Ho Chi Minh City Tour
Last day in the city so I decided to just walk around, explore and eat (more pho, more fun!).
Notre-Dame Basilica of Saigon

Saigon Central Post Office

Vietnamese street food (you can find good food everywhere!)

Bui Vien Walking Street

I really enjoyed my time in Vietnam. Good food at very cheap prices!

What's next? >> CAMBODIA! :)








You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.